.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Father: Truth Teller, The Mother: Aya granny, Daughter 1: Najma, Daughter 2: HNK.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

About me

Finally, and after many days of my family's encouragement and insistence,I have decided to join them at this blog.
First of all, hello to every reader, especially our participant friends, whose names are mentioned many times a day (Fayrouz, Jeff, Shawn, and David ).

Now I will introduce myself, I was born in December 1957 in Baghdad, I was the second child in my family. Few months later, my father had a fellowship to study for a Ph.D. degree in the US. So, we left Baghdad and settled there, thus, my childhood started in the state. We returned to Iraq when I was 5 years old. I started my study in Baghdad, I finished my secondary school with an average degree of 88%. At the same time I was engaged to my cousin (he was studying in the medical college).
I had to choose a college, my degree afforded me to choose any college, but I preferred to enter the engineering college, since I was married and the period of study was only 4 years .

I graduated from Mosul university at 1979, my sequence was the third on my class. In the meantime I was 6 month pregnant with my first child.

After my graduation, my husband had a training course at the U.S, He took me with him and I had delivered my first baby girl there. I visited many places in the states and took pictures at the same places which I had visited 16 years before. We spent 6 months in the states, then we returned back to Baghdad, carrying our baby.

I started my job at the university of Mosul sinceI was one of the distinguished. At Sep. 1979, I was preparing for my baby's 1st birthday, but few days before, the war started with Iran. Since that time we started our struggle and nightmares in Iraq.

To be continued..

18 Comments:

Blogger Mad Canuck said...

Welcome!!!! It's nice to hear from the woman we've heard so much about, thanks to your two daughters.

That must have been stressful and difficult for you taking that long trip to the US while you were in that late a stage of pregnancy. But, it obviously worked out okay.

I hope to hear more from you soon.

Best regards,
Shawn.

3/08/2005 10:21:00 AM

 
Blogger littlewhy said...

If your daughter was born in the U.S. that makes her eligible to be a U.S. citizen. As far as I know, if you're born here, you're a citizen. If this daughter is the mother of Aya, then Aya is an American, since the child of an American citizen is automatically an American citizen as well. Kind of funny, huh?

3/08/2005 01:36:00 PM

 
Blogger Ann said...

Thank you for joining the blogsphere. Your life experiences are rich and fascinating. Congratulations on all your hard-earned successes in school, work and as a mother. Please tell more about your life since 1979.

3/08/2005 01:40:00 PM

 
Blogger praktike said...

That's funny -- I was born on September 4th, 1978. So your daughter is about the same age as I am.

3/08/2005 02:59:00 PM

 
Blogger richsanter said...

you married your cousin? is incest a big problem in iraq? what is the reason for marrying a close relative? doesn't that create a lot of problems for children?

3/08/2005 06:45:00 PM

 
Blogger Aya Granny said...

richsanter,
I did marry my cousin according to my will. He was very reliable, helpful, and suitable for me. He lived in Mosul while I was in Baghdad, but I felt comfortable about him. We didn't have any hereditary diseases in our family. Thus, it was not a problem to marry him. On the other hand, I prefer a relative marriage than others, since we know more information about each other.

The incest in Iraq is not a problem in our family since we are an educated one. In other cases, it may be a necessity to ask the cousin's acceptance before the marriage of his cousin to another one. If he didn't agree, she should marry him unwillingly!

3/09/2005 03:05:00 AM

 
Blogger Jeff said...

Hello, Aya Granny! Good to hear from you. Good wishes for your blogging.

Jeff

3/09/2005 04:09:00 AM

 
Blogger Lettie said...

Welcome! I have read the blogs of your family members with great interest.

As a mother I can not possibly understand what you have gone through and are going through. You and your family are doing a great service to the world with your posts.

I wish you well.

3/09/2005 07:50:00 AM

 
Blogger Libby said...

Hello. I'm looking forward to reading your posts. I have the feeling that education is extremely important to your family. Has your recent access to the internet and television helped in any way?

Libby-in-Canada

3/09/2005 10:20:00 AM

 
Blogger Kat said...

Hello! I'm so glad you've started blogging. I'm truly looking forward to hearing what you have to say, and following your story. I don't post comments too often, but I read your daughter's blog almost every day. I'll be reading this one just as often!

Hugs and Love from Atlanta, Georgia, USA
~Kat

3/09/2005 10:22:00 AM

 
Blogger just me said...

Welcome, from another granny!
I'm so glad you started posting. I've hoped you would for some time now. Your viewpoint as a women closer to my own age will be quite interesting.

3/09/2005 04:13:00 PM

 
Blogger JUST A MOM said...

WOW I have been in my house for way too long. Not sure how I ended up here but I am very interested, and will be going back to catch up on what I have missed.

3/09/2005 09:57:00 PM

 
Blogger Beverly said...

It is wonderful to hear from you Aya Granny. I look forward to reading your stories. You must be so proud of your amazing family. Aya is such a sweetheart. I will become a grandma this year and I'm very excited. Can't wait. Good Luck!:)

3/10/2005 06:54:00 AM

 
Blogger Beverly said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3/10/2005 06:54:00 AM

 
Blogger Boobabe said...

I'm am glad to be able read your thoughts and ideas about Iraq and the world in general. I ahve been reading your daughter's blogs for about 6 months now. It is very interesting to me as I have daughters about the same age.
I wish you well and look forward to more posts.
Aya is a very sweet baby

3/10/2005 09:23:00 AM

 
Blogger Windy2005 said...

I love your blog and your daughter's. I feel a kinship with you as I believe that we are close to the same age and both love our kids. I can't imagine the circumstances you are living in right now. I hope you find peace in your country soon. I also hope, given your profile, that you didn't know anyone who was senselessly killed in the bombing in Mosul today. I would love to have you visit my blog and post your thoughts too! Your daughter and my son are close to the same age. I think they could learn a lot from each other and by starting a dialog, we as mothers, can work together to forge a bridge between our cultures in these turbulent times.

I wish you and your family peace and hope that you stay safe.

3/10/2005 03:03:00 PM

 
Blogger Windy2005 said...

P.S. Your granddaughter is absolutely adorable!!! :o)

3/10/2005 03:05:00 PM

 
Blogger Brenda said...

Granny Aya,

I love reading your daughters' blogs and you have the most beautiful grandchild ever!

I'm so glad you are blogging, too!

Yay!!!:)

Brenda (in Arizona)

3/13/2005 11:18:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

 

Click here to submit your site to the search engines for free!