.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Father: Truth Teller, The Mother: Aya granny, Daughter 1: Najma, Daughter 2: HNK.

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

About me:after 1979

I was preparing to make my baby's birthday, it was her first birthday. I had started buying decoration things for the birthday party, this was at the beginning of Sep. Suddenly a few days later at Sep. 22th, we awoke at the early morning on the sound of jet fighters throwing bombs at the airport without any previous warning, this was the beginning of Iraq-Iran war. I still remember the scene of so many jet fighters in the sky throwing missiles in different directions.

Within few minutes, my husband changed his clothes and went to the hospital to join the workers in the emergency room to help the wounded persons.

I had to stay with my baby at the house and calm her, our house was near the airport (I lived with my husband's parents in the same house in Mosul), my parents were in Baghdad.

All the family left their bedrooms upstairs to an underground big hall (we call it Sirdab in Arabic), we were 4 families there (two of my brothers-in-law and their families, besides me, and my father and mother-in-law), whenever any of the women wanted to go upstairs, her husband should accompany her because she is afraid to go alone. I was the youngest wife but the bravest, and I moved up to second floor alone, my husband couldn't come back home due to the emergency situation in the hospitals.

This uncomfortable situation with so many people around continued for several days, we all slept on mattresses on the floor. We cooked food and ate and spent all the day in the same place.

I still remember the sound of my baby crying, and the radios telling the news about the war, day and night, especially at 9 o'clock at night.

After few days, we had been asked to leave the house, because it is so dangerous to stay there, so we packed few things and went to the house of another brother-in-law far away from the airport, we stayed there for another couple of days. I was very bored , my baby was uncomfortable and so was I.

I started the suggestion to return back home, and I had succeeded, I did it. I was happy just to return to my place, the crowd problems were uncountable.

After few days, the bombs became less frequent, and we started to get used to it. Then we were asked to return back to work.

Actually, I don't remember the remaining details, almost similar situation had been repeated at 1991 and 2003 and the scenes are mixed in my mind. However the electricity problems, water deficiency, toilet problems, and bakery-shops closing, were the main repeated problems, thus, we learned to prepare the yeast and make bread in the house and hand-wash our clothes.

To be continued

4 Comments:

Blogger jemy said...

If there was one thing you could have Americans do to make things better, what would it be? Would it be police patrols? Disbursement of fuel? Water? Food? Better electricity?

something else?

Julia

3/09/2005 02:53:00 PM

 
Blogger John said...

Something else? LEAVE IRAQ!!!

3/09/2005 03:01:00 PM

 
Blogger jemy said...

Alright, John, I get your point, but I really meant isn't there something good that we could be doing there? And what is it? What is Najma's family opinion on that?

And please don't answer "Don't shoot journalists!" (I know, I know, I know... but sometimes it is useful to talk about common ground instead)

3/09/2005 05:44:00 PM

 
Blogger Ann said...

Aya - Thank you so much for the continuing saga. What a story! I think it would make a great made-for-TV movie.

I like baking bread with yeast and flour too. It is so wholesome and there aren't the additive chemicals that preserve the bread from molding. Here, there is a colloquial way of saying it: it is making bread or cakes "from scratch". That means you're not using a box mix or buying a bakery product from the store. Have you ever made sour-dough bread? It is good to eat. I used to keep an active culture of sour-dough alive, but I don't anymore.

I can hardly wait for your next "installment" or post of your story.

How did you handle all the noise from the missiles and bombs? That would drive me crazy. One night some old ordinances were being exploded near our house just to get rid of them - where we used to live - it was a very old farm house. The walls shook and things fell of the shelves. I don't know how you survived all the random loud shocks and noise of those bombs. It is very sad and upsetting to think about it, but I try to focus on thoughts that now Iraqis are free and can live with protections of their human rights.

3/10/2005 02:17:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

 

Click here to submit your site to the search engines for free!