.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Father: Truth Teller, The Mother: Aya granny, Daughter 1: Najma, Daughter 2: HNK.

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Part 3

After few weeks from the beginning of the war, the government ordered all the employes to return back to their jobs. I returned to the university after I got used to the sound of alarm siren which can be at anytime and anywhere. At this war, the main problem was the continuous invitation for men to join the military service, my husband was called at 1982.

At the same time,I moved to a new house, to live seperately from my husband's family. My husband was far away from me, thank God, I could drive the car, and we had one (I was one of very few women who can drive cars at my city), So I took the responsibility of taking my baby to the nursery daily and take her back. On the mean time, I had been accepted for a post graduate study .

My study had filled the gap created by my husband's absence, but I had to be patient with my 3 years old baby. However, when my examination started, I started whining to my mother (by the way, my parents lived in Bagdad 400 km away), so my mother came and helped me till I finished my exams. I finished my MSC degree at 1985 -- few months before my husband had been discharged from the army, so the circumstances was improving for me, but not for other Iraqis, Missing, killing or being captured by the enemy, was a real threat to most of the peoples who were involved in the war.

From the start of the war, I decided not to have any more children, until the war's end, but it didn't . So I changed my mind and I had my second baby girl (Najma) at 1988,(her birth bring luck to all of us, the war stoped). and the third baby (HNK) also a girl at 1989. I was busy then with my two new babies.

Few years before the end of the war(1986), my younger sister's husband (who was a jet fighter pilot)'s jet fighter was shot and fall down, but he managed to jump out of his falling plane by a parachute, and land in the Iranian land, He captured by the Iranian army, and become a prisoner of war. He had a one-year old baby boy.

After another annoying 5 years, there were a war prisoners exchange between the two countries, and my sister's husband was released, we and all the families of the released prisoners started celebration with a lot of joy which cannot be described, I don't remember a better day for all the families.

At 1990, another war had started (The gulf war 1).The tragedy of living was repeated, but for me it was worse, since my daughters were still breast fed and very much demanding, thank God I had a dozens of diapers for them besides a sterilized bottles for milk, but still I could never forget those very bad and frightening days and nights. My husband was also called to help with the emergency cases at the hospital. The electricity had went off.The prices of all the main supplementary food had raised rapidly and the salaries were not enough for living and the economical situation was getting down continuously, except for some army officers who recieved a salary 10 times or even more than doctors or professors' salaries. Our family was considered as a high standard living one, we both worked and had another source of income, my husband's clinic, and we had only 3 daughters. The families in Iraq usually have so many children!!.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gryfen said...

I would have preferred to email this, but could no find the link. Is that option offered on this blog?
Ma’am:
I’ve just realized that you would be almost the same age as my mother. Were you, by chance, born in 1957?

I would love to hear more of your experiences in life. This is so far removed from what my family has experienced, and I believe you provide a valuable ‘reality check’ for those who are indirectly, but massively affected by war.

Excuse me if I am presumptuous, but I would like to know what your childhood was like.

Sincerely,
Lisa

3/18/2005 05:23:00 PM

 
Blogger Mad Canuck said...

Thanks for the interesting post. That must have been difficult during the gulf war with two very young children.

The comparison with army officers is interesting: it's the reverse here (doctors and professors are very well paid, army officers are not). I'm thinking there was probably some logic in this: the army is what kept Saddam in power, and as long as he kept the army happy, they'd support him.

Shawn.

3/18/2005 06:10:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

 

Click here to submit your site to the search engines for free!